Prior to joining Osha Bergman Watanabe & Burton, Stig worked as a research geophysicist/research specialist at Sinopec Tech, TGS, and ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company in Houston, Texas. He also worked as a high school teacher, teaching at Klein-Forest High School.
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
- European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE)
- S. Hestholm (2019), Elastic tilted orthorhombic (and simpler) wave modeling including free-surface topography, Geophysics, 84, pp. T93-T108.
- S. Hestholm (2009), Acoustic VTI Modeling using High-Order Finite-Differences, Geophysics, 74, pp. T67-T73.
- S. Hestholm (2008), Effects of Sand Dunes on Full Wavefields in Exploration, extended abstract, 11th European Conference on the Mathematics of Oil Recovery (ECMOR), EAGE, A44.
- T. Kebeasy, E. Husebye and S. Hestholm (2008), Are rock avalanches and landslides due to large earthquakes or local topographic effects? A case study of the Lurøy earthquake of August 31, 1819 - A 3D finite difference approach, In Earthquake Monitoring and Seismic Hazard Mitigation in Balkan Countries, ed. E. S. Husebye, Springer Verlag, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, pp. 271-289.
- S. Hestholm, M. Moran, S. Ketcham, T. Anderson, M. Dillen and G. McMechan (2006), Effects of free-surface topography on moving-seismic-source modeling, Geophysics, 71, pp. T159-T166.
- S. Hestholm, S. Ketcham, R. Greenfield, M. Moran and G. McMechan (2006), Quick and accurate Q parameterization in viscoelastic wave modeling, Geophysics, 71, pp. T147-T150.
- S. Hestholm (2003), Elastic Wave Modeling with Free Surfaces: Stability of Long Simulations, Geophysics, 68, pp. 314-321.
- S. Hestholm and B. Ruud (2002), 3-D Free-Boundary Conditions for Coordinate-Transform Finite-Difference Seismic Modelling, Geophys. Prosp., 50, pp. 463-474.
- S. Hestholm (2002), Composite Memory Variable Velocity-Stress Viscoelastic Modelling, Geophys. J. Int., 148, pp. 153-162.
- B. Ruud and S. Hestholm (2001), 2-D Surface Topography Boundary Conditions in Seismic Wave Modeling, Geophys. Prosp., 49, pp. 445-460.
- S. Hestholm and B. Ruud (2000), 2-D Finite-Difference Viscoelastic Wave Modeling including Surface Topography, Geophys. Prosp., 48, pp. 341-373.
- S. Hestholm (1999), 3-D Finite-Difference Viscoelastic Wave Modeling including Surface Topography, Geophys. J. Int., 139, pp. 852-878.
- S. Hestholm, B. Ruud and E. Husebye (1999), 3-D versus 2-D Finite-Difference Seismic Synthetics including Real Surface Topography, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 113 Nos. 1-4, pp. 339-354.
- A. Simone and S. Hestholm (1998), Instabilities in applying Absorbing Boundary Conditions to High Order Seismic Modeling Algorithms, Geophysics, 63, pp. 1017-1023.
- S. Hestholm and B. Ruud (1998), 3-D Finite-Difference Elastic Wave Modeling including Surface Topography, Geophysics, 63, pp. 613-622.
- S. Hestholm and B. Ruud (1994), 2-D Finite-Difference Elastic Wave Modeling including Surface Topography, Geophys. Prosp., 42, pp. 371-390.
- S. Hestholm, E. Husebye and B. Ruud (1994), Seismic Wave Propagation in Complex Crust - Upper Mantle Media using 2-D Finite-Difference Synthetics, Geophys. J. Int., 118, pp. 643-670.
- B. Ruud, E. Husebye and S. Hestholm (1993), Rg Observations from Four Continents: Inverse and Forward Modelling Experiments, Geophys. J. Int., 114, pp. 465-472.
- Ø. Bøe, S. Hestholm and A. Kamel (1992), Numerical Simulation of Laboratory Displacement Experiments by a Petrov-Galerkin Method and a Pseudospectral Fourier Method. Proceedings from the SIAM Conference on Mathematical and Computational Issues in Geophysical Fluid and Solid Mechanics, Houston, September 25th-29th, 1989. In SIAM's Modeling and Analysis of Diffusive and Advective Processes in Geosciences, ed. W. E. Fitzgibbon and M. F. Wheeler.
- S. Hestholm and A. Kamel (1991): Simulated Annealing Inversion applied to Ducted Propagation of Acoustic Waves, Proceedings from the SIAM Workshop on Geophysical Inversion, Houston, September 25th-29th, 1989. In SIAM's Geophysical Inversion (Proceedings in Applied Mathematics 52), ed. J. Bee Bednar, L. R. Lines, R. H. Stolt and A.B. Weglein.
Professional Affiliation & Service
- Associate Editor - Geophysics (Seismic Modeling and Wave Propagation); Society of Exploration Geophysics (2007 - present)
- TGS, ExxonMobil, Sinopec Representative at the UTDallas Geophysical Consortium (2010, 2012, 2015)
- Best Paper, Author under 34, Geophysical Prospecting (1994)
- Regular Reviewer & Session Chair SEG Annual Meetings (from 1994)
- Fulbright and Norwegian Research Council PhD Fellowships (1995-97)
- Ph.D., Geophysics, Rice University, 1999
- Ph.D., Seismology, Bergen University, 1999
- M.Sc. Applied Mathematics, Bergen University, 1987
- B.Sc. Applied Mathematics & Numerical Analysis, Bergen University, 1985