What information do we collect about you, how do we collect it and what do we use it for?
The kinds of Personal Data we may collect include your contact details (such as your address, email address and telephone number), and information such as your job title, which we will request from you. In addition, we collect the Personal Data you choose to provide to us, e.g. if you contact us by letter, telephone, email, or any other means of electronic or personal communication.
We will process your Personal Data only:
- if you have consented for us to do so;
- if we need it to perform the contract we have entered into with you;
- if we need it to comply with a legal obligation; or
- if we (or a third party) have a legitimate interest which is not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Such legitimate interests will be the providing of legal services by us, administrative or operational processes within OBWB and direct marketing.
We may use your Personal and non-Personal Data for our own marketing and non-marketing purposes. For example, we may use Personal Data to respond to your email or telephone inquiries or to advise you of upcoming events, newsletters, or legal developments. In addition, we may add your Personal Data to our databases, including subscriber and contact lists.
Like many websites, we use “cookies.” A cookie is a piece of data stored on a user’s device containing information about the user’s visit. Cookies are of various types and have different purposes including:
- Google Analytics cookies: we use these cookies to track information about a user’s visit, including the IP address of the visitor, time and duration of visit, pages viewed, visit source/referring site and time zone. We use the information to check the usefulness of our website and help us improve and enhance visitor experience.
With whom will we share your information?
When using your Personal Data for the purposes described above, we may share your Personal Data with our other subsidiary offices around the world as well as other law firms and service providers with whom we work. We may also have to share your Personal Data with regulators, public institutions (e.g., The United States Patent and Trademark Office, the European Patent Office, etc.), courts, or other third parties.
For the purposes described above, we may have to transfer your Personal Data from the European Economic Area (EEA) to an OBWB office or a third party outside of the EEA and in a jurisdiction not being subject to an adequacy decision of the European Commission. We will always ensure that there is a legal basis and a relevant safeguard method for such data transfer so that your Personal Data is treated in a manner that is consistent with and respects the EU and other applicable laws and regulations on data protection. We have put in place EU standard contractual clauses as our safeguard method.
Your rights in relation to your information
You have rights as an individual that can be exercised under certain circumstances in relation to your Personal Data that we hold. These rights are to:
- request access to your Personal Data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”) and request certain information in relation to its processing;
- request rectification of your Personal Data;
- request the erasure of your Personal Data;
- request the restriction of processing of your Personal Data;
- object to the processing of your Personal Data.
If you want to exercise one or more of these rights, please contact us at email@example.com.
Right to withdraw consent
In case you have provided your consent to the collection, processing, and transfer of your Personal Data, you have the right to fully or partly withdraw your consent. To withdraw your consent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purpose(s) to which you originally consented unless there are compelling legitimate grounds for further processing or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, which would override your interests, rights, and freedoms. In case we processed your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes, you have the right to object at any time, in which case we will no longer process your Personal Data for such marketing purposes.
GDPR Compliance – Data Request
Click here to access the Data Request Form
Osha Bergman Watanabe & Burton LLP
909 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77010