- Senior Associate | U.S. Patent Attorney and Attorney at Law
Laura Witbeck’s practice emphasizes foreign and domestic patent prosecution in the fields of material engineering and mechanical engineering.
Ms. Witbeck’s experience includes preparing and prosecuting patent applications for the oil and gas industry, including downhole tools technology, offshore equipment, manufacturing processes and mechanical systems, as well as work with novel materials in metallurgy and ceramics, batteries and sensing and monitoring systems. In addition to patent prosecution, Ms. Witbeck has experience drafting legal opinions, including invalidity and non-infringement opinions, and has past experience with litigation discovery.
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Junior League of Houston
- Board member, Houston Area Georgia Tech Alumni Association
- Pro bono attorney, Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)
- Brigham Young University, J.D., 2009
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Materials Sciences and Engineering, 2005
- Can Material Properties be an Abstract Idea?
- Are PTAB's Discretionary Factors for Denying Institution of IPR Legal?
- When does Describing an Embodiment become a Clear and Unmistakable Disclaimer?
- “Overview of the Patent System,” American Chemical Society’s SWRM, Dallas, TX, November 19, 2014
- “Introduction to Intellectual Property,” Identifying and Managing IP in Oil & Gas Technology Development – Panel Discussion, SPE, February 6, 2014
- “America Invents Act: Post-Grant Proceedings,” Houston, Texas (2013)
- “The Patent Process Explained,” American Chemical Society’s SWRM/SERMACS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (2010)
- “Negotiating a Licensing Agreement,” American Chemical Society’s Fall 2010 National Meeting and Exposition, Boston, Massachusetts (2010)
- “I signed WHAT?: What to Consider when Entering into Consulting or Other Agreements,” American Chemical Society’s Division of Small Businesses’ symposium on small business startups, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2009)