- Associe | Italian & European Patent Attorney
Francesca Giovannini’s practice includes foreign and European patent prosecution and European patent litigation, in the fields of materials science, chemical and mechanical engineering.
At Osha Bergman Watanabe & Burton (OBWB), Ms. Giovannini handles prosecution, opposition and litigation work for French and international clients, in particular in the oil field (e.g. wellbore fluids, drilling equipments), in process engineering (e.g. polymerization plants and processes, hydrocarbon separation processes and plants, heat exchangers, gasifiers, air-conditioners) and in materials science (e.g. polymers, fuel cells, batteries), and she regularly attends oral proceedings before EPO Examining Divisions, Opposition Divisions and Boards of Appeal. Further, she is involved in infringement and nullity actions before the French Court (TGI) as well as before the National Commission on Inventions made by Employees (CNIS). She assists bailiffs in French infringement seizures.
Prior to joining Osha Bergman Watanabe & Burton (OBWB) in 2009, Ms. Giovannini worked as patent attorney at Basell Polyolefine GmbH in Frankfurt, Germany, a joint venture between BASF and Shell which subsequently merged with Lyondell Chemical Company to form LyondellBasell. There, she harvested inventions in the field of polyethylene products, plants and processes and drafted and prosecuted corresponding patent applications globally, drafted patentability and freedom-to operate opinions and progressively focused on oppositions and appeals before the EPO, attending many oral proceedings. She also provided IP advice on core R&D projects relating to polyethylene catalysts and processes and she held internal training seminars on IP issues.
Before that, after a short experience as a patent engineer at a Patent Library in Vicenza, Italy, where she performed patent searches, Ms. Giovannini worked several years as patent agent for the IP law firm Porta, Checcacci & Associati in Milan, Italy, where she performed prior art searches, patentability and freedom-to operate analysis and drafted and prosecuted patent applications in Italy and abroad, most of them relating to the manufacture of tyres, glasses and dragées.
Additionally, Ms. Giovannini worked in the polyurethane industry as a materials engineer at Deltapur S.p.A., a company of Bayer group. In that position, she developed tailor-made polyurethane formulations for the automotive industry.
Ms. Giovannini graduated in 1996 with a M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering with a particular emphasis on process engineering and materials science and drafted an experimental thesis on the basis of a research performed to develop controlled release pharmaceutical systems.
- European Patent Litigator (2023)
- European Patent Attorney (2004)
- Italian Patent Attorney (2002)
- Registered on the French list of persons qualified in industrial property, patent section (2016)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), European Practice Committee
- European Patent Institute (EPI), The Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office
- Institute of Italian Industrial Property Attorneys (Ordine dei Consulenti in Proprietà Industriale), patent section
- Foreign observers’ group of the Institute of French Industrial Property Attorneys (CNCPI)
- CEIPI Diploma on Patent Litigation in Europe, 2015
- University of Trieste, Italy, M.S., Chemical Engineering, 1996
- University of Trieste, Italy, B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1996
- The EPO Ten-Day Notification Rule is Abolished: Practical Examples
- End of Unified Patent Court "Sunrise Period" but Opting-out is Still Possible
- Information on the Forthcoming Launch of the Sunrise Period and Start of the Unitary Patent and Unitary Patent Court
- Two-month Postponement of the Start Date of the UPC and the Sunrise Period
- Europe: Entry into Operation of The Unified Patent Court is Closer Than Ever
- Green Patents: Common Challenges in Prosecution Before The EPO
- Notice on The Upcoming Entry Into Force of The Unified Patent Court Agreement
- Unified Patent Court Is Established
- Reasons of Decision Issued for Case G1/21 On Oral Proceedings by Videoconference Without Consent of All Parties
- Update on the Unified Patent Court
- Case G1/21 On Oral Proceedings by Videoconference Without Consent of All Parties
- Decision G4/19 On Double Patenting Before the European Patent Office
- Germany Can Proceed with the Ratification of the Unified Patent Court Agreement
- Prohibition of Double Patenting in the European Patent Office Confirmed
- Inventors Will No Longer Be Notified By The EPO About Their Designation
- Enlarged Board of Appeal of European Patent Office clarifies examination of patentability of computer-implemented simulations
- European Patent Office and Oral Proceedings: An Update
- UK Announced Its Withdrawal from Unified Patent Court Agreement — What's Next?
- European Patent Office Postpones Oral Proceedings in Opposition Through 2020
- EPO Continues Suspension of Late Fees to Help Applicants in the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Update on EPO Measures Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Impact of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) Pandemic on EPO Operations
- Unified Patent Court and European Patents with Unitary Effect: the German Federal Constitutional Court, more than Brexit, creates a stalemate situation
- Outbreak of Coronavirus: Impact on proceedings before the European Patent Office and the EPC member states
- New Rules of Procedure of the Boards of Appeal of the European Patent Office
- Update on French Intellectual Property Law: French Parliament Passes "Action Plan for Business Growth and Transformation"
- New French Provisions Impacting National Intellectual Property Rights
- Update on Brexit Negotiations Between the UK and the EU in the field of IP rights
- The Significance of "Could" vs. "Would" When Assessing Obviousness Rejections
- The UK ratified the UPC Agreement: One Step Closer to the Completion of the Ratification Process for the UPC to Operate
- EPO objections of added subject-matter due to an Unallowable Intermediate Generalization
- New Decision from EPO Enlarged Board of Appeal G1/16 Regarding Disclaimers
- Applicants May Save Money By Paying Fees to the EPO By Credit Card
- New EU Practice Regarding Summons to Attend Oral Proceedings as First Action in Examination
- European Litigation Series, Part II: Search Order and Seizure in Italy
- UPC Update (June 2017)
- Litigation Before The Unified Patent Court: What Will It Look Like?
- UPC: Factors to be Considered in Making the Decision of Opting Out
- UPC: Confirmation that Opting Out is Planned to Start Sept. 2017
- Petty Patents Around the World
- New Validation Agreement Between European Patent Organisation and Cambodia
- UPC: Opting Out Might Be Possible Starting From September 2017
- Validation of English Language European Patents in Belgium: Translation of Specification No Longer Required
- European Litigation Series – Part 1: French Seizure of Evidence (saisie-contrefaçon)
- Brexit: An Update on Planned Legislative Reforms Affecting IP Rights
- Reform of the EPO Boards of Appeal and Potential Impacts on Applicants
- AIPPI 2016 World Congress takes place in Milan, Italy
- Opposition Proceedings Before the European Patent Office: A New, Streamlined Procedure
- Brexit: Consequences on Patent Prosecution in Europe
- Deciding Whether To Opt Out of the Unified Patent Court
- Co-presenter, “Europe’s Unified Patent Court and Patents with Unitary Effect: Status, Perspectives and Impact of Brexit,” PLI One-Hour Briefing (Sept. 2016)
- Co-presenter, “Everything You Need to Know about the Unified Patent Court,” AIPLA Deep Dive (Feb 2022)